Thursday, October 29, 2009

Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am.

I am.....a Librarian!!!

It is my turn to vent frustration about the job! Don't get me wrong I love my job, but sometimes I get to witness the arrogance of my fellow man too closely.

You see, I work in a library. I'm proud of working in a library and I love my job. However, it must be a common misconception that any idiot can be a librarian. I guess, on second thought, that is correct. No matter if you graduated from Harvard or Rocko Clubo's School of Typewriter Maintenance, you are still a graduate endowed with the piece of paper that apparently makes you able to take over the world. However, perhaps you will see my point after you read this encounter.

My boss and I had a conversation the other day with a couple of people, interested in becoming librarians. We told them the necessary education (Masters in Library Science) needed and the state certification process. Conversation went as follows:

Them: Oh well, I have a masters degree in Education.

Us: Great! you can be a teacher but not a librarian.

Them: Why not....I have a masters in EDUCATION.

Us: Cool....how well do you know the Dewey Decimal system?

Them: What? You don't need THAT. There are computers that tell you that.

Us: Who do you think porgrams the computer?

Them: But I have a masters in READING?

Us: Good....can you catalog?

Them: What?

Us: Do you know which Library Management software works best in your area?

Them: But I have a MASTERS DEGREE.....

Us: Us too, Should we go teach your classes?

Them: No, you would need a degree in education....

Us: then you need a degree in Library Science.

You know, it may not seem like much to some people, but it really does take a lot to be a librarian and it isn't just the ability to READ!!!!



3 comments:

  1. HEY...I thought that conversation was private!! Just joking...too funny ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing is private when talking to a blogger...You could always end up in my book :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should tag this one with Library Science, so that more library-types will find it when they do searches.

    ReplyDelete